Recipe by LAURIE
Comfort food from Ireland with what else? Pototoes!!! We like our soup a little chunky so I dont use the sieve just do a light mash, and I normally always use chicken stock, and we sprinkle our bowls with anything from bacon to cheese to sour cream.
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 ounces butter, melted
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon chives or 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 pinch salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the potatoes and onions to sauce pan with melted butter.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes (don't brown).
- Add the vegetable stock, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cover and bring to a boil stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and put through a sieve.
- Return to the saucepan.
- Stir in the milk and cornflour and bring to the boil, stirring continuously.
- Remove from heat, top with chives or parsley, and serve hot.