Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
You will end up with more dressing than you need for this recipe. Store the remainder in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and use to make coleslaw or a mixed vegetable salad or pour it over sliced tomatoes and cucumbers.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 2 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, boiled until tender
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pickled sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion, including tender green tops
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked corned beef
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the dressing: in a small saucepan, stir the egg and sugar to combine.
- Stir in the flour until well blended, then add in the cider vinegar.
- Add the salt, pepper, and butter; place over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; adjust heat to maintain a gentle boil and cook, stirring gently, 10-12 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from heat, transfer to a bowl, and let cool completely.
- Add in the mayonnaise; stir to combine (you should have about 3 cups of dressing).
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel, if desired, then cut into ½-inch cubes.
- Place potato cubes in a large bowl; add in the wine vinegar, pickled onions, and celery seed; toss gently.
- Add in the scallions, celery, and corned beef; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add ¾ cup of dressing and mix gently; add more dressing as needed to bind the salad ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days; serve chilled.