Recipe by Loony
This is a tasty, hearty soup for a cold winter's day or anytime.
Top Review by MilanzMom
LOVE THIS RECIPE! Did not have heavy cream however. I read some of the other reviews and saw that some chefs pureed, so that's what I did! I took probably 1/4 of the potato/leek combination and pureed it and added it back to the broth. No need for cream in this recipe! Also, next time, I would cut back the pepper a bit. Not for me, but my 10 year old thought it was a bit peppery, so I made some homemade croutons to float on his dish to try to get the pepper taste a bit less for him. I LOVED the taste of this recipe, however. GREAT POST LOONY!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups leeks, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock or 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pan, heat the oil and add the leeks, celery, onion and garlic.
- Saute over medium heat, until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the vegetable stock or water, potatoes, salt, pepper& thyme; bring to a boil.
- Simmer over medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes, until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Add the cream and herbs and return to a light simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let sit a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with warm bread.