1/1 Photo of Irish Pork Ciste (Pork & Apple Casserole Pie)
A pie casserole made with pork and apple filling topped with crust.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
PORK AND APPLE FILLING
- 1 1/2 lbs lean pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried sage
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large tart apples, peeled, cored, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1FOR THE PASTRY CRUST: Combine flour and salt, mixing well. Cut in lard until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add water a Tablespoon at a time, while stirring with a fork, just until mixture holds together. Form into ball. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate.
- 2FOR THE FILLING: Brown pork in large saucepan over moderate heat, stirring frequently. Add water, onion, sage, and salt; mix well. Cover; simmer over low heat 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 3Combine milk and flour; stir to form smooth mixture. Add to pork mixture in saucepan, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Cook over low heat until thickened and bubbly. Pour 1/2 of pork mixture into 1 1/2 quart lightly greased casserole. Top with apples; sprinkle with sugar. Add remaining pork mixture.
- 4Roll pastry crust. Turn out dough onto lightly floured board; roll to fit casserole dish. Place over meat mixture. Turn under small margin of pastry around edge of casserole; crimp edge. Cut several steam vents in pastry.
- 5Beat egg yolk and milk together; brush crust well with egg wash. Bake at 450°F for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°F and bake 25 minutes more. Serve hot. Makes 4 to 5 servings.
- 6International Creative Cookbooks Irish Cooking.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Pork Ciste (Pork & Apple Casserole Pie)
Serving Size: 1 (368 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 582.5
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 161.4 mg
- Sodium 837.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 42.7 g