Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Delicious served with meat or poultry.
- 1 (3 lb) red cabbage
- 1⁄3 cup coarse salt
- 1 quart malt vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons mixed pickling spices
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- Core cabbage; discard any coarse leaves.
- Wash well; drain.
- Finely shred cabbage.
- Place in large stainless-steel or glass bowl.
- Add salt; stir well.
- Let stand in cool place 2 days, stirring well several times a day.
- On the third day drain cabbage well; squeeze dry in towel.
- Place in canning jars.
- Combine remaining ingredients in large saucepan.
- Bring to boil; cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Cool; strain.
- Pour over cabbage in jars.
- Cover; refrigerate.
- Allow to age 3 days before serving.
- Will keep 6 weeks in refrigerator.
- Makes 4 pints.
- Irish Cooking.