Cook6 hrs 20 mins
From The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham, posted for ZWT III. These sound great, though you have to plan ahead. I plan to try these very soon.
- Combine the buttermilk and the oats at least 6 hours (preferably overnight) before mixing and baking the muffins.
- Stir well, cover and let rest in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Grease the muffin tins.
- Put the eggs in a mixing bowl and beat just till the yolks and whites are blended.
- Add the sugar and beat till smooth and well blended.
- Add the buttermilk-oatmeal mixture.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt and oil.
- Beat till batter is well mixed.
- Fill the muffin tins 3/4 full of batter. They usually bake about 20 minutes, but start testing for doneness after 15 minutes.
- Either remove the muffins from the tins and cool on racks or serve hot from the pan.