Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs 20 mins
From The Breakfast Book by Marion Cunningham, posted for ZWT III. These sound great, though you have to plan ahead. I plan to try these very soon.
- Combine the buttermilk and the oats at least 6 hours (preferably overnight) before mixing and baking the muffins.
- Stir well, cover and let rest in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 400. Grease the muffin tins.
- Put the eggs in a mixing bowl and beat just till the yolks and whites are blended.
- Add the sugar and beat till smooth and well blended.
- Add the buttermilk-oatmeal mixture.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt and oil.
- Beat till batter is well mixed.
- Fill the muffin tins 3/4 full of batter. They usually bake about 20 minutes, but start testing for doneness after 15 minutes.
- Either remove the muffins from the tins and cool on racks or serve hot from the pan.
This is a delicious recipe. They taste great "as is", but I jazzed them up a bit by inserting a little apple butter filling, after they were baked. I'll definitely be making them again.
I have made this for years!!! The whole family loves them. I found the recipe in my Fannie Farmer Cookbook, edited by Marion Cunningham. It makes between 12 - 18 muffins. The muffins are not too sweet, and they are delicious. I don't bake mine for more than 15 min. They get dry otherwise.
These are so good, that between 4 of us we only have 6 of them left (and I made 18 of them today)! I did add 3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and some craisins. Thanks for sharing a keeper:)