Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A good recipe for a different meat loaf selection with an Irish touch. Enjoy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (or use ground lamb)
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup onion, minced
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ginger
- 2 large cooking apples, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli, chopped, cooked and drained
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a bowl blend ground meats together and add bread crumbs, egg, onions, milk, salt and ginger. Lightly mix to blend and stir in apples.
- On a jelly roll pan shape into loaf. Bake in a preheated oven 350ºF. for 45 minutes. Drain off excess fat.
- Prepare potato flakes according to package directions. Combine potato and broccoli.
- Frost loaf with potato mixture and sprinkle top with Cheddar cheese and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before removing to a warmed serving platter.