Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not your regular mashed potatoes. These are traditional Irish spuds!
- 6 -8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook potatoes in water until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking; Melt butter in large skillet.
- Add chopped onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in kale and cook 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Mash potatoes, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper with mixer.
- Stir in kale mixture.
We really enjoyed these potatoes, served them with ham for Easter. I'm always trying to find recipes that incorporate more veggies & this fit the bill. DH requested that these be made on a regular basis. I was able to cook the potatoes ahead of time & just quickly reheated them in the microwave before adding them to the kale mixture.
A great addition to my St. Patty's Day meal!
These tasted pretty good, but were very dry, so we added more milk to taste. My husband also picked up Napa Cabbage instead of Kale, so the taste was a little more bland than I expected. Next time I think we will try a different Colcannon recipe, one that uses leeks instead of onion, and may add either goat's milk or goat cheese, which we find adds a really pleasant tang to mashed potato dishes, believe it or not!