Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
It is just one of my favorites.
Make and share this Irish Mashed Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- Insert the thyme sprigs in a cheesecloth bag.
- Combine milk, garlic and thyme in a pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently until garlic is soft. 8 to 10 minutes Throw away Thyme.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and puree until smooth. Return to pan and stir in the scallions. Set aside, covered.
- Large pot, bring I inch salted water to boil. ADD Cabbage, cover and cook until tender. 8 to 10 minutes; drain well (sometimes I steam the cabbage).
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium and cook, until tender.
- Drain potatoes, and return to pan. Mash with a potato masher, Or any instrument you have. hands, egg beater--fists--whatever, best if using a masher though.
- Gradually add sour cream, and mash until smooth. Watch the consistency, You do not want a mixture that looks like soup. So add slowly.
- Stir in cabbage and season with the salt and pepper.
- Add the grated cheese lastly.
- Meat lovers may add crisp bacon when mixing. I have put Italian sausage(fried and cut up into very small pieces) into this dish. Any type of sausage is good--even Brats.
- May garnish with Italian parsley.
- THIS REALLY IS TO DIE FOR.
- I usually put in a bowl, and find a pan, where the bowl sits on top, covered. Add a bit of water to pan under low heat and it keeps the potatoes hot until serving time. Must stir occasionally. This also helps to melt the cheese.
- This trick may be done with other foods.
- Boniato potatoes are found in an Asian Market. They are a mix between Yukon Gold and a Sweet Potato. They are just simply to delicious. So I rarely buy another potato since these are the best.
- The Boniato peels like a regular potato. Just has a harder Brown skin. YOU MUST TAKE OUT THE THIN VEIN THAT RUNS DOWN THE CENTER::.
- Quarter them lengthwise and take out the very thin vein that runs down the center. It is a bit bitter. Then chop as a regular potato.
I thought these were lovely. Dont let this one review get you down, keep publishing your recipes.
this didnt work,was soggy,didnt taste right,sorry,this was the worse !