Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
...for 2! From Best Recipes. Begoirra!
- 1⁄2 cup shredded frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup green cabbage, shredded finely (read *NOTE)
- 1 tablespoon carrot, shredded
- 1 tablespoon yellow onion, finely minced (my addition)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten (or 1/4 cup egg whites)
- 1 tablespoon unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- salt, to taste
- oil, for frying
- *NOTE: For convenience, use packaged coleslaw mix if you wish.
- In a mixing bowl combine the hash brown potatoes, cabbage and carrots (or coleslaw mix), onion, egg, flour, salt and pepper.
- If you have time, refrigerate the potato/cabbage mixture for about 15-20 minutes before frying.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Lightly grease.
- Scoop and pack the cabbage batter into a greased 1/2 cup measuring cup. Gently invert the cup into the skillet. Repeat.
- When the batter begins to sizzle, with a spatula gently press down to flatten into a pancake; about 1/2" thick and 4" in diameter.
- Cook until the pancakes brown on one side; approximately 5 minutes. Turn over with spatula and cook other side another 4-5 minutes.
- Serve each pancake topped with applesauce, sour cream and a sprinkle of salt.