Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A Traditional Irish Stew. Pure Comfort food! Requires overnight refrigeration.
Make and share this Irish Lamb Stew With Goat Cheese Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- 5 lbs lamb, shoulder roast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3 cups beef broth
- 4 ounces unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 14 baby carrots, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cups beef broth (or veal stock)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300°F Place the roast in a roasting pan and season with salt and pepper then rub all over with olive oil. Make 10 small slits all over the roast (If roast is tied, leave it tied).
- Insert the garlic cloves into the slits. Add the bacon into the pot then gently add the stock over and around the roast. Place rosemary and thyme sprigs on top of roast. Cover and slow roast for 3 hours, or until very tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Remove roast and wrap tightly in foil then refrigerate. To the stock, strain into a pyrex bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the fat from the stock (You should yield at least 4 cups of stock). Discard fat solids and set the stock aside. Remove the veal from the foil, cut it into 2" cubes, and set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, add the butter and melt. Stir in the flour and let cook for 3 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and sauté about 5 minutes. Add the onion and sauté for another 10 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the stock that the lamb was cooked inches Add the cooked lamb, reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer 20-30 minutes until carrots are tender.
- DUMPLINGS: In a 2 qt pot, heat beef broth to a simmer. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add remaining dumpling ingredients and mix well.
- Drop the dumplings by tablespoonfuls (a few at a time as to not overcrowd. They will poof up) into the simmering broth. Let simmer, turning occasionally, for 10-15 minutes or until the dumplings float to the surface and are cooked through.
- As the dumplings cook, remove them from the broth and add to the stew. When the last batch of dumplings are cooked, add them and the remaining broth to the stew.
truly outstanding. I don't even like goat cheese but thought a mild one would have a tang that sets off the lamb nicely and it did. i did cheat a little and made it as a regular stew rather than roasting first because i scaled it down to a 1 lb of meat. Its a keeper