2 hrs 20 mins
A traditional Irish stew, as handed down by my grandmother, who was born and raised and is now buried in Bangor, Co. Down, Ulster. This recipe has been modified slightly, as indicated in my comment below. This is a good, hearty stew, whcih is excellent fare anytime there's "a chill in the air."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/3 lbs boneless leg of lamb, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 2/3 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 2/3 yellow onions, peeled,coarsely chopped
- 1 2/3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/8 cup chopped fresh curly parsley
- 1 2/3 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/8 pints chicken broth or 1 1/8 pints beef broth
- 1 (20 ounce) bottle Guinness stout or 1 (20 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 3 1/3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or 3 1/3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 2/3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1Combine flour, salt and pepper.
- 2Dredge lamb cubes in seasoned flour.
- 3Heat oil; brown meat over medium-high heat.
- 4Reduce heat to medium, add onions and garlic.
- 5Cook, stir 5 minutes until browned and onions are translucent.
- 6Add remaining ingredients, raise heat to medium-high and bring to boil.
- 7Reduce heat to simmer, cook (sitrring occasionally) for 90 minutes to 2 hours, or until meat is fork tender.
- 8Thicken gravy, if necessary, with cornstarch-sauce slurry.
- 9:In Ireland, the lamb used is*never* boneless.
- 10A stew is, by Irish tastes and sensibilities (and very much contrary to the American perception thereof),*not* an elegant dish, but rather a working dish that can be made and left unattended while good Irish lads and lassies are out toiling in the fields, tending the lambs and sheep that are used in this dish, or following other gainful pursuits and pastimes.
- 11The bones have been removed here to adjust this recipe to more molly-coddled American tastes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Lamb Stew
Serving Size: 1 (982 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 902.6
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 130.2 mg
- Sodium 1080.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 41.1 g