Recipe by susan
Although I usually reserve making this in the winter months, we love this anytime. Easy and a good comfort food.
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 3 lbs lamb (can substitute lean beef for stewing)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 (10 ounce) cans beef broth, undiluted
- 6 carrots, cut into 2-inch, slices
- 12 small boiling onions
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 6 ingredients.
- Pour over meat in a shallow dish.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6-8 hours.
- Drain meat, reserving marinade.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; brown meat in oil.
- Add consomme and reserved marinade; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, onions, and potatoes; cover and cook another 30 minutes.