Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Although I usually reserve making this in the winter months, we love this anytime. Easy and a good comfort food.
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried whole thyme
- 3 lbs lamb (can substitute lean beef for stewing)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 (10 ounce) cans beef broth, undiluted
- 6 carrots, cut into 2-inch, slices
- 12 small boiling onions
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- Combine first 6 ingredients.
- Pour over meat in a shallow dish.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 6-8 hours.
- Drain meat, reserving marinade.
- Discard bay leaves.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; brown meat in oil.
- Add consomme and reserved marinade; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, onions, and potatoes; cover and cook another 30 minutes.
Made this for dinner last night. It was fantastic. I used beef instead of lamb and the marinade gave it a wonderful flavor. Very easy to make and so tasty too.
YUM! It's really cold today and I was so happy to have this wonderful & warming dish for dinner this evening. I only had 1.3 lbs of beef stew meat (I couldn't find lamb) so I halved all of the other ingredients. DB likes his stew thick so I did what Wildflour did to thicken it but.. it was more like 1 TBSP. YUMM DB asked me to make a huge batch and freeze it.
I'm under the weather right now, so my hubby is rating this for you! :) He says.."REALLY, really good...and when can you make this again?!" :) He's extrememly picky, so when he says it's that good, believe me...IT IS!!!! :) I only subbed Ocean Spray Cran-Grape juice for the wine, and thickened it at the end with 2 Tbl. cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbl. cold water. And that was just a personal preferance. Oh, and I did cut up the veggies just a bit, that too was just a pref, though. (And I did use lamb, and he said it was WONDERFUL!!!!) Thanks so much for such a great (and easy to make!) recipe!! :) :)