Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A variation of Lancashire hotpot dish. This dish will tie up your oven for 8 hours, so plan ahead. Haven't tried this in a crockpot, and don't know if it would turn out the same or not.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 cups yukon gold potatoes, sliced
- 4 pork loin chops
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups onions, sliced
- 2 cups stout beer, such as Guinness
- Preheat oven to oven to 225°F Brush the bottom of a heavy Dutch Oven with some of the butter.
- Spread half of the potatoes on bottom of pot, top with pork chops. Sprinkle chops with some of the salt and pepper. Layer the onions on top of the chops, sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Cover with remaining potatoes. Make sure top layer of potatoes doesn't touch the lid of the pot.
- Pour in the stout, brush potatoes with remaining butter and sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Cover pot and bake for 8 hours. Check every so often to make sure it isn't drying out. Add water, 1/4 cup at a time, if needed.
- Remove from oven and let cool 20 minutes. Serve.
Made this for your 2012 Football Wild Card Playoff win. I had the ingredients on hand and put it in the oven before going to work.
It turned out really well. I used my heavy cast iron dutch oven and it didn't dry out at all until the last hour. I used a little water and chicken broth (about 1/4 cup total) to it and it turned out well.
The potatoes and chops were both tender and the stout added a very unique flavor.
CONGRATS ON YOUR WIN!!!