Recipe by Normaone
Home made hot chocolate is comfort food at its best, especially in the winter time. Although, I have been known to serve this up around a campfire on the 4th of July and it tasted just fine. This is an old Gourmet recipe.
Top Review by BarbryT
This is an Ohmigod! 10 stars, at least. The cocoa itself if rich and delicious, and I have had several cups of it in the last couple of days. But the addition of the Bailey's puts it over the top. I haven't even gotten to the Baileys AND whipped cream AND shaved chocolate. This is just wonderful.
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 1⁄4 cups milk, scalded
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream, scalded
- 1⁄2 cup baileys original irish cream, to taste
- whipped cream
- shaved bittersweet chocolate (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large heavy saucepan combine the cocoa powder, sugar, vanilla, water and a dash of salt.
- Heat mixture over low heat, whisking, until the cocoa powder is dissolved and the mixture is a smooth paste.
- Gradually add the milk and half&half and simmer whisking for 2 minutes.
- Stir in Baileys.
- Divide hot chocolate into warmed mugs and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.