Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Ham Stock can be used for all entrees with beans and vegetables. I added a bottle of "Guinness Black Lager" to enhance the rich flavor of the stock.
- 3 lbs ham shanks (Bones)
- 3 lbs brown onions (Cut in wedges)
- 2 lbs carrots (Chopped)
- 6 celery ribs (Chopped)
- 2 lbs celery root (Chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (Chopped)
- 12 ounces Guinness stout (Black Lager)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bunch parsley (Chopped)
- 6 sprigs thyme (Chopped)
- 6 sprigs sage (Chopped)
- 3 sprigs rosemary (Chopped)
- 6 juniper berries
- 6 black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- Place ham bones, chopped vegetables, garlic and Guinness in a 12-quart stock pot. Bring to a full boil and reduce to a simmer until half the Guinness remains.
- Wrap garlic, bay leaves, fresh herbs, peppercorns in cheese cloth and tie-off with string to complete Sachet.
- Cover with cold water, bring to a full boil for 10-minutes and skim the stock. Reduce stock to a simmer and add Sachet.
- Simmer stock 5-6 hours uncovered, skimming the pot several times.
- Remove bones and strain using a fine-mesh sieve. Cool Ham Stock with a ice bath and refrigerate. The stock will keep for 1-2 days.
- Chef Note: Ham Stock can be frozen for 2 months.