Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
A quick, easy and very tasty Irish recipe though something more usually associated with Wales. This Irish Guinness Rarebit is a take on a Welsh Rarebit with a good splash of the 'black stuff' aka Guinness. This recipe is from Elaine Lemm, a renowned food and drink writer in the UK. Enjoy!
- 1⁄4 lb Mature cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon English mustard (bright yellow, very strong)
- 1⁄2 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Guinness stout
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices sourdough bread or 4 slices white baguette
- Mix together the cheese, mustard, 1/2 egg yolk, Worcestershire sauce, Guinness and salt and pepper.
- Under the broiler, toast the slices of bread on one side.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture between each of the toasts on the un-toasted side.
- Place under broiler for 2 - 3 minutes or until the cheese is melting, watching carefully. Serve immediately.
Easy and tasty lunch. The taste of beer is pretty strong. Made for ZWT8.