1 hr 5 mins
This sounds SO good, and I'm going to make it at the first opportunity..."This interesting and surprisingly subtly flavored Irish soup makes good use of an ancient ingredient that is not only delicious but also believed to have health-giving properties. Serve it with some crusty bread as a real winter warmer." From my fave soup book, "400 Soups".
My Private Note
1 cup s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Crush the garlic.
- 2Put the oil and butter into a stock pot, add the garlic and onion, and cook them gently for 20 minutes, until soft but not brown.
- 3Add the flour and stir to make a roux.
- 4Cook for a few minutes, then stir in the wine vinegar, stock and 4 cups water.
- 5Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- 6When ready to serve the soup, whisk in the lightly beaten egg yolks.
- 7Put the croutons into eight soup bowls and pour the hot soup over the croutons.
- 8COOK'S TIP:.
- 9When adding egg yolks to thicken a soup, reheat the soup gently but do not bring it back to a boil, otherwise the egg will curdle.
- 11Toast small slices of French baguette, top with grated cheddar or parmesan cheese, and broil until the cheese melts.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Garlic Soup
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 101.7
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 54.6 mg
- Sodium 184.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar