Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This sounds SO good, and I'm going to make it at the first opportunity..."This interesting and surprisingly subtly flavored Irish soup makes good use of an ancient ingredient that is not only delicious but also believed to have health-giving properties. Serve it with some crusty bread as a real winter warmer." From my fave soup book, "400 Soups".
- Crush the garlic.
- Put the oil and butter into a stock pot, add the garlic and onion, and cook them gently for 20 minutes, until soft but not brown.
- Add the flour and stir to make a roux.
- Cook for a few minutes, then stir in the wine vinegar, stock and 4 cups water.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve the soup, whisk in the lightly beaten egg yolks.
- Put the croutons into eight soup bowls and pour the hot soup over the croutons.
- COOK'S TIP:.
- When adding egg yolks to thicken a soup, reheat the soup gently but do not bring it back to a boil, otherwise the egg will curdle.
- Toast small slices of French baguette, top with grated cheddar or parmesan cheese, and broil until the cheese melts.
We've already sampled some of this delicious garlic-lover's soup - and the rest I'm leaving to eat on St Patrick's Day. We don't normally celebrate the day, but since it was so close I thought 'why not?' We love garlic so for me this was a MUST-TRY recipe. I added a leek (I love the superb blend garlic, onion and leek together; worth trying if you've not done so in another recipe) but otherwise made this exactly to the recipe. To sample some, I removed the amount for 2 serves and added an egg yolk. That meant proportionally more egg. My quess is that this soup is bound to be even tastier for having rested for a few days. I'm planning on still adding the two egg yolks to the remaining soup. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, Florida Native. Made for PRMR.
I only made half a recipe to serve with reuben sandwiches. I made rye toasted bread with butter and parmesan to top the soup. Turned out great and loved all the garlic. May try adding other ingredients to make a more substantial soup.