Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rice made with mushrooms, stock, onions and parsley. Served with grilled tomatoes topped with cheese and bread crumbs.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 1 cup converted rice
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock or 2 1⁄2 cups broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
FOR THE TOMATOES
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Add onion, rice, and mushrooms, sauté until rice starts to brown. Add stock, parsley, salt, and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 25 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Grease 1-quart mixing bowl. Pack rice into bowl tightly. Keep warm while preparing tomatoes.
- Split tomatoes in half.
- Combine melted butter, bread crumbs, cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika; mix well. Sprinkle crumb mixture over tomatoes; broil in preheated broiler 4 inches from heat until golden.
- Unmold rice onto warm serving dish; surround with tomatoes. Serve. Makes 6 servings.
- Irish Cooking.
Nice flavoring for the rice pilaf and a pretty presentation with the broiled tomatoes.