1/1 Photo of Irish Dried Cherry Buttermilk Scones
tornadoes three's Note:
I LOVE pretty, tasty, desserts! English teas and such are wonderful! I think that these scones will enhance any garden party that you are giving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, plus
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, for brushing the scones
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/8 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into bits
- 1/2 cup dried sour cherries (available at specialty foods shops)
- granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- 1In a bowl whisk together 1/2 cup of the buttermilk, the egg, the brown sugar, and the vanilla until the mixture is combined well.
- 2In another bowl stir together the flour, the baking powder, the baking soda, and the salt and blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 3Stir in the cherries and the buttermilk mixture with a fork until the mixture just forms a sticky but manageable dough.
- 4Knead the dough gently for 30 seconds on a lightly floured surface, pat it into a 3/4-inch-thick round, and cut it into 8 wedges. On an ungreased baking sheet brush the wedges with the remaining 1/4 cup buttermilk and sprinkle them with the granulated sugar.
- 5Bake the scones in the middle of a preheated 400°F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until they are golden.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Dried Cherry Buttermilk Scones
Serving Size: 1 (86 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.9
- Calories from Fat 87
- Total Fat 9.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 47.0 mg
- Sodium 442.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried sour cherries