Recipe by Olha
This dish is especially good served with a soft boiled egg served in its centre. Comfort and joy in one easy dish.
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled (russet)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup whole milk
- 5 green onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 4 eggs, boiled soft (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the potatoes into even chunks and cover with cold water, add the 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Cook the potatoes for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- While the potatoes cook, warm the milk in a saucepan over gentle heat, add the green onions, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes until the onions are tender.
- (If you plan to serve the champ with soft boiled eggs, put 4 large eggs in a saucepan, cover them with water and bring to a boil, remove from the heat and let stand in the hot water for 4 minutes then quickly pour cold water over eggs and remove eggs.).
- Drain the potatoes, return them to low heat and shake the pan over the elements for a minute or so to make sure they are quite dry. Mash the potatoes with the milk mixture and butter until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the potatoes with a clean tea towel and the saucepan lid while you shell the eggs.
- Spoon the potato into 4 warmed pasta bowls, make a well in the centre of the potatoes, place shelled egg in the well, slice the egg in half and add more salt and pepper, if desired. Serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.
- Great Potatoes.