Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
While in Ireland I fell in love with their soups and breads. So I bought a cookbook called Irish Soups and Breads written by Nuala Cullen. This is one of the recipes I love and I am putting it on here for convenience. I don't even like asparagus, but I love this. I also add a little tarragon to taste.
- Cut the tips from half the asparagus and set aside for garnish. (I use it all).
- Peel the lower woody parts of the stalks and chop into small pieces, or break the frozen ones.
- Peel and cube potatoes.
- Wash and finely chop leeks.
- Blanch reserved tips in boiling salted water for 5 minutes if used, then cool and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook the leeks gently for a few minutes, then add potatoes and chopped asparagus.
- Add stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in blender, food processor, or use hand blender.
- Place pureed soup back in saucepan.
- Add the creme fraiche and another tablespoon of butter and stir.
- Garnish with tips.
This is a DELICIOUS soup. I did add 1 teaspoon of thyme to the mix, but other than that, I made it as written. I think next time I will add a little more potato, for our tastes. Overall, a very rich and creamy soup that is definitely good enough for company. Thanks ms.muffet for another GREAT recipe. Made for FALL 2008 PAC.
Fantastic soup. I made this for family meal a couple of years ago in culinary school (sorry for not reviewing earlier), while I was in international foods I. There was some left that was given out to regulars at the cafe, and they wanted it added to the menu. It was not sold, or added to the menu, but that was a great testament to the quality of the soup. Thank you so much for the soup.