Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
While in Ireland I fell in love with their soups and breads. So I bought a cookbook called Irish Soups and Breads written by Nuala Cullen. This is one of the recipes I love and I am putting it on here for convenience. I don't even like asparagus, but I love this. I also add a little tarragon to taste.
- Cut the tips from half the asparagus and set aside for garnish. (I use it all).
- Peel the lower woody parts of the stalks and chop into small pieces, or break the frozen ones.
- Peel and cube potatoes.
- Wash and finely chop leeks.
- Blanch reserved tips in boiling salted water for 5 minutes if used, then cool and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan and cook the leeks gently for a few minutes, then add potatoes and chopped asparagus.
- Add stock and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in blender, food processor, or use hand blender.
- Place pureed soup back in saucepan.
- Add the creme fraiche and another tablespoon of butter and stir.
- Garnish with tips.