1/3 Photos of Irish Colcannon (Winter Vegetable Casserole)
Miss Annie's Note:
A traditional Irish dish. This dish may also be made in a crock pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook the potatoes and parsnips in water until tender.
- 2While these are cooking, chop leeks (greens as well as whites) and simmer in the milk until soft.
- 3Next, cook the kale or cabbage and have warm and well chopped.
- 4Drain the potatoes, season with mace, garlic, salt and pepper, and beat well.
- 5Add the cooked leeks and milk (be careful not to break down the leeks too much).
- 6Finally, blend in the kale or cabbage and butter.
- 7The texture should be that of a smooth-buttery potato with well distributed pieces of leek and kale.
- 8Garnish with parsley.
- 9Colcannon is also made by cooking layered vegetables, starting with potatoes, in a slow-cooker during the day.
- 10Drain vegetables, blend with milk and margarine as above and garnish with parsley.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Colcannon (Winter Vegetable Casserole)
Serving Size: 1 (184 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.8
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 15.8 mg
- Sodium 494.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: