A traditional Irish dish. This dish may also be made in a crock pot.
Make and share this Irish Colcannon (Winter Vegetable Casserole) recipe from Food.com.
- Cook the potatoes and parsnips in water until tender.
- While these are cooking, chop leeks (greens as well as whites) and simmer in the milk until soft.
- Next, cook the kale or cabbage and have warm and well chopped.
- Drain the potatoes, season with mace, garlic, salt and pepper, and beat well.
- Add the cooked leeks and milk (be careful not to break down the leeks too much).
- Finally, blend in the kale or cabbage and butter.
- The texture should be that of a smooth-buttery potato with well distributed pieces of leek and kale.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Colcannon is also made by cooking layered vegetables, starting with potatoes, in a slow-cooker during the day.
- Drain vegetables, blend with milk and margarine as above and garnish with parsley.