Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Cooking Light, March 2007
Make and share this Irish Colcannon and Thyme Leaf Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced peeled baking potatoes
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 3 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups water, plus
- 3 tablespoons water
- 8 cups thinly sliced savoy cabbage (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leave
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add potato, onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and cook 6 minutes.
- Add broth and 2 cups water; bring to a boil.
- Cook 10 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Combine 3 tablespoons water and remaining 1 tablespoon butter in a large Dutch oven; bring to a simmer.
- Add cabbage and thyme.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Place half of potato mixture in blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl.
- Repeat procedure with remaining potato mixture.
- Add potato mixture to cabbage mixture; cook over medium-low heat until thoroughly heated.