Recipe by twissis
This recipe is being posted for ZWT II & my source is www.recipes4us.co.uk/Desserts%20and%20Puddings/irish_coffee_pudding. This sounds yummy to me & appeals to my Irish nature, but I doubt you'll need to be Irish to appreicate it! (Time does not include chilling time)
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 4 ounces caster sugar
- 4 ounces coffee (hot, black & made with 2 teaspoons instant coffee)
- 4 ounces gelatin powder
- 2 -3 tablespoons Irish whiskey or 2 -3 tablespoons Irish Mist liqueur
- 5 ounces double cream (lightly whipped)
- whipping cream (for hollowed centre)
- 2 ounces walnuts (crushed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a med-sized pan half filled w/water to a boil & line the sides of a soufflé dish (inside) w/greaseproof or parchment paper so the paper comes at least 2 in above the rim of the dish.
- In a lrg mixing bowl, cream together the egg yolks w/the sugar using a wooden spoon.
- Dissolve gelatin in the hot (but not boiling) coffee & add to the yolk mixture, beating well.
- Place the mixing bowl over the pan of boiling water & cont beating till mixture begins to thicken. Remove from heat & allow to cool a little. Then place in the fridge for a little while till the mixture starts to set.
- Beat egg whites till stiff.
- Fold the cream into the egg yolk mixture. Add the alcohol & mix well.
- Fold in the egg whites & transfer to the soufflé dish lined w/greaseproof paper.
- Oil a bottle or jar (about 2-3 inches in diameter) & press into the centre of the pudding. Leave to set w/the bottle or jar in the pudding.
- When set, carefully remove the paper & the bottle or jar. Fill the hollow centre w/the whipped cream. Then press crushed walnuts onto the protruding sides of the soufflé. Refrigerate till ready to serve.