Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is quickly becoming one of our family's favorites. I needed to come up with a special Christmas cake and these were the ingredients that I happen to have on hand. This really fit the "special" bill and the cake was a big hit with everyone! I loved that it was so easy and so well received!
- 453.59 g box chocolate cake mix
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml coffee, I used double strength coffee (hot, strong & divided in two 1/4 c portions)
- 78.07 ml whiskey
- 453.59 g container cream cheese frosting (or vanilla)
- You should prepare the chocolate cake according to the directions on the cake box, but use cold coffee instead of water. Bake the cake in a 9 x 13 inch cake pan. After baking use a fork to poke holes evenly over the top of the cake. Set the cake aside to cool slightly while you prepare the coffee/whiskey syrup.
- Mix the sugar and 1/4 cup of the strong coffee. Bring to a boil and boil 1 minute. Allow to cool till warm, but not hot. Stir in whiskey and pour over the top of the slightly cooled cake. Cover the cake and allow it to cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, mix the remaining 1/4 cup HOT coffee and the tub of cream cheese frosting. It will be almost pourable and much easier to spread. Pour the frosting over the top of the cake, cover and place in the fridge to set frosting.
- *I chose to dust the top of the frosting very lightly with some powdered instant coffee (optional).