Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a version of my Irish Coffee Brownies that I have reduced the fat and sugars in. You won't get a chewy brownie but I can live with that for the great improvement in heart heath/diabetic use this version gives
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Splenda granular, sugar substitute
- 1⁄4 cup heart healthy margarine
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄8 cup Irish whiskey
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 1⁄2 cups Splenda granular, sugar substitute (This is originally powdered sugar,I used Homemade Powdered Sugar With Splenda and Glazes to make the powdered sugar for this amount)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Irish whiskey
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 -4 tablespoons brewed coffee
- chopped walnuts (optional)
- Heat sugar, margarine, applesauce and 1/2 cup cocoa powder in a large saucepan over medium heat until butter or margarine melts, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in Splenda Granulated.
- Add egg whites and 1 teaspoon vanilla; beat lightly just until combined.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.
- Stir together milk and 1/4 cup whiskey; stir in coffee crystals.
- Add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately to the chocolate mixture, beating by hand after each addition.
- Stir in nuts. Pour into a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, for the Irish Coffee Glaze, stir together sifted powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon Irish whiskey, and 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla.
- Stir in 3-4 tablespoons brewed coffee until of drizzling consistency.
- If desired, sprinkle with additional chopped nuts. Makes 36 brownies.