Recipe by Olha
The secret of a great Irish coffee lies in its ingredients. Use strong, freshly brewed black coffee (preferably espresso or cafe filtre), the freshest and best heavy cream, and authentic Irish whiskey (never Scotch). Serve on New Year's Eve on Christmas Day, or whenever you have a taste for this rich, mellow, almost dessert like drink.
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 fluid ounces Irish whiskey (4 jiggers)
- 2 cups fresh brewed strong black coffee
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream, EXTREMELY cold
Directions See How It's Made
- Warm two glasses. In each put 1 teaspoon sugar and 2 shots of whiskey, then the coffee. Stir gently, then flow 2 Tablespoons of the cream into each cup over the back of a spoon, so that it remains floating on the top. Serve immediately, without stirring.
- NOTE: Not only does Irish whiskey taste different from Scotch, it is spelled differently: "whiskey" versus "whisky".
- Moira Hodgson.Holiday Recipes.