Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Host your own St Patrick’s day party with this cider infused Irish stew, perfect with a side of colcannon and a pint of Guinness.
- 1⁄2 ounce butter
- 4 pork loin chops
- 8 slices smoked bacon, cut into pieces
- 4 potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into large chunks
- 1 rutabaga, cut into chunks
- 1 cabbage, cut into smaller pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup cider
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- Heat the butter in a casserole dish until sizzling, then fry the pork for 2-3 mins on each side until browned. Remove from the pan.
- Tip the bacon, carrot, potatoes and rutabaga into the pan, then gently fry until slightly coloured.
- Stir in the cabbage, sit the chops back on top, add the bay leaf, then pour over the cider and stock.
- Cover the pan, then leave everything to gently simmer for 20 mins until the pork is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Serve at the table spooned straight from the dish.