Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
From Time Life: Cooking of the British Isles
- 3⁄4 lb butter (3 sticks)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup candied cherry (coarsely chopped)
- 1 1⁄4 cups seedless raisins
- 1 1⁄4 cups white raisins
- 1 1⁄4 cups dried currants
- 1⁄2 cup mixed candied fruit, peels (finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons candied angelica (finely chopped)
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 7 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup walnuts (finely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Brush bottom and sides of 9 x 3 springform pan with 2 tbsp butter.
- Dust with 2 tbsp flour, tilting to coat and flipping and tapping to remove excess.
- Combine cherries, raisins, currants, candied peel and angelica in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup flour and toss to coat evenly; set aside.
- In large bowl cream softened butter and sugar by beating with a wooden spoon against edges until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, then slowly beat in remaining flour, allspice and salt.
- Combine nuts with fruit mixture and add to batter slowly, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour batter into pan and spread evenly with spatula.
- Bake on middle rack for 1 1/2 hours or until top is light golden or a cake tester comes out clean.
- Cool completely before removing from pan.
Yeah, I know ~ The Irish would probably say I messed up royally with my substitutions for this cake, but the done deal tasted just fine! I used marschino cherries instead of candied ones, then used almost a cup of finely chopped dried fruits instead of the candied (AND a couple Tbsp of my own dried orange peel)! I was very pleased with the final cake & would definitely make it again! [Made & reviewed as a bonus recipe in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #14, Mar 08]