Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Great cake to celebrate St. Patrick's Day.
Make and share this Irish Chocolate Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (gas mark 5), and grease and line two 8" cake pans.
- Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Melt chocolate in a bowl placed over a saucepan of hot water.
- In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy, then beat in the chocolate and mashed potato.
- Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little flour with each addition.
- Fold in the rest of the flour and stir in the milk.
- Divide mixture evenly between the cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is firm but springy to the touch.
- Remove from oven and after a few minutes, turn out on a cooling rack.
- While the cake is cooling, melt the chocolate for the filling as before.
- Stir in the other ingredients and mix well.
- Use the filling to sandwich the sponge layers together and coat the top and sides of the cake.