Top Review by Cindy Lynn
Rather than use chicken breast halves, I used chicken wings (I freeze big bags of them for chicken stock/stews when we butcher), which I cooked up this morning. When I was ready to complete the Chicken and Dumplings, I removed the chicken wings and picked the meat off the bones, measured out the broth in the pan...couldn't believe it was exactly the three cups called for...wouldn't have happened if I'd been trying...lol. I added the remaining ingredients, including the de-boned chicken and cooked as directed. I could not find my bag of frozen peas in either chest freezer or fridge freezer, so I substituted canned peas (it would definitely have been even better with fresh or frozen) instead. I made up some bisquits and dropped them in. I must have made them a little larger than the recipe called for because I had to cook them a little longer than stated (approximately 10 minutes). With the creamed soups added so early (with raw potatoes and carrots), I expected it to tend to stick and possibly scorch...not a bit though (yeaaaahhh). We all really enjoyed this and will definitely be having it again. There were only 3 of us for dinner tonight, so we had about half left over, which is great because I need something to just warm up tomorrow evening. Since we don't like reheated dumplings, I removed the remaining ones before refrigerating the left-overs and will make fresh tomorrow evening. Thanks for sharing a really great recipe RecipeNut. I just had to try this when I saw Irish since 50% of my heritage is Irish! ;-)
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 5 carrots, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
- 4 potatoes, quartered
- 3 cups baking mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In large, heavy pot, combine soup, water, chicken, celery, onion, salt, poultry seasoning, and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat about 1 1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes and carrots; cover and cook another 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot, shred it, and return to pot.
- Add peas and cook only 5 minutes longer.
- Add dumplings.
- To make dumplings: Mix baking mix and milk until a soft dough forms.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto BOILING stew.
- Simmer covered for 10 minutes, then uncover and simmer an additional 10 minutes.