Recipe by carlysulli
A taste of Ireland, these hearty, flaky scones are great warm with butter or jam or dipped into some seafood chowder! Cooking them on a preheated baking sheet gives them a flavor similar to cooking pancakes on a hot griddle.
- 170.09 g whole wheat flour
- 170.09 g all-purpose flour
- 113.39 g wheat bran
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 0.59 ml salt
- 56.69 g butter
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 7 fluid ounce buttermilk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly dust a baking sheet with some flour.
- Put the whole wheat flour and wheat germ into a large mixing bowl. Sift the all-purpose flour, salt and baking soda into the bowl. Mix the ingredients well together with fingers.
- Next, rub in the butter to pea-sized pieces; then mix in the sugar.
- At this stage, put the lightly dusted tin into the oven to preheat.
- Stir in enough buttermilk to make a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead for a few seconds. Cut out scones with a round cookie cutter.
- Put the scones on the preheated baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes or until risen and a golden brown.
- Cool on a wire tray.