Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
a semi-traditional soda bread.
Make and share this Irish Brown Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Slowly pour in the buttermilk, stirring until a sticky dough is formed.
- Knead the dough for a few minutes until there are no bits of flour at the bottom of the bowl.
- Form into two rounds and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Note: if the dough is too wet, add more flour.
- If it is too dry, add more buttermilk.
- It should be sticky and moist.
Easy...added 1/4 cup of sugar...and 1.5 oz. of raisins...also used a loaf pan.
This is a great recipe. Other than adjusting for oven temp. differences, the only change I make is to lightly grease the sheet or pan I use to bake (sometimes loaves are more convenient than the rounds). I also find that halving the recipe is often enough to last 2 people for several days.