Recipe by cookiedog
Growing up my mom was "forced" to always eat brown bread. I guess I'll be making this for my grandmother soon! Posting for ZWT 6 from Sunset Magazine.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cold butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup regular oats or 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 1⁄2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until mixture forms fine crumbs. Stir in whole-wheat flour and oats.
- Add yogurt; stir gently. If mixture is too dry to hold together, stir in milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, just until dough holds together; it should not be sticky.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead gently 5 times to make a ball. Set on a lightly greased baking sheet. Pat into a 7-inch circle. With a floured knife, cut a large, deep X on top of loaf.
- Bake in a 375° oven until well browned, about 40 minutes. Cool on a rack. Serve warm or cool.