Recipe by Hanka
This is delicious and healthy brown bread. I make at least 2 times a week. Another great recipe which doesn't require eggs and molasses (treacle)and if you don't have buttermilk just make your own. Simply add 1 tbsp. of lemon juice to a 1 cup of milk. Rest of the ingredients you have probably in pantry.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
I have been making Irish soda type bread all my life and in many different forms. The oven temperature given here is a little hot (hence the reason it browned so quickly before being cooked). What works in my oven is 375 degrees - keep an eye on it - and probably have to reduce to 350 so that you can ensure it is cooked all the way thru. Good recipe but just needs a few adjustments. Ovens do vary.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons oats
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 3 tablespoons wheat bran
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Butter 25cm (10inch) long loaf pan.
- In a large bowl combine first 8 ingredients and mix well with wooden spoon.
- Add butter and buttermilk to a dry mixture and stir just to combine all together.
- The dough will be very soft and sticky.
- Don't over mix.
- Transfer dough to prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until bread is light brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean about 40 minutes.
- Turn bread out of pan and cool on rack.