Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is delicious and healthy brown bread. I make at least 2 times a week. Another great recipe which doesn't require eggs and molasses (treacle)and if you don't have buttermilk just make your own. Simply add 1 tbsp. of lemon juice to a 1 cup of milk. Rest of the ingredients you have probably in pantry.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Butter 25cm (10inch) long loaf pan.
- In a large bowl combine first 8 ingredients and mix well with wooden spoon.
- Add butter and buttermilk to a dry mixture and stir just to combine all together.
- The dough will be very soft and sticky.
- Don't over mix.
- Transfer dough to prepared loaf pan.
- Bake until bread is light brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean about 40 minutes.
- Turn bread out of pan and cool on rack.
I have been making Irish soda type bread all my life and in many different forms. The oven temperature given here is a little hot (hence the reason it browned so quickly before being cooked). What works in my oven is 375 degrees - keep an eye on it - and probably have to reduce to 350 so that you can ensure it is cooked all the way thru. Good recipe but just needs a few adjustments. Ovens do vary.
WOW, this bread is wonderful! It is sooo easy and quick to put together (took me literally 5 minutes this morning) and tastes awesome! Its just like the breads you can buy in Ireland. YUM! I love the crumb, its moist and tender while crunchy at the same time. I found that I had to lower the baking temp a bit after 20 minutes so that it wouldnt brown too much, but that varies from oven to oven. I was out of wheat bran, so I just threw in some flax seeds, which I liked.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing a true keeper, Ill make this over and over again for sure. Made and reviewed for the Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap November 2011.
If you're short for time this is a great bread! It took me minutes to mix together and then I just put it in the oven. Unfortunately though, after about 30 minutes the loaf seemed done, so I took it out but it wasn't quite cooked in the middle. Nevermind as it still tasted really good!