Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Irish brown bread for breakfast and or tea time.
Make and share this Irish Brown Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Put the whole wheat flour in a mixing bowl and place in a warm oven (low setting!).
- Both flour and bowl should be warm when you make the bread.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water and blend in the molasses.
- Let proof.
- Add another 1/2 cup of water.
- Combine flour, yeast mixture and salt.
- Add enough warm water to make a wet sticky dough.
- This will vary according to flour and humidity conditions.
- Put directly into a buttered 9x5x3-inch bread pan.
- Cover and set in a warm spot.
- Allow dough to rise by 1/3 its original size.
- This goes faster than you might think Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until the crust is nicely browned and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Turn off oven and leave loaf on rack for about 20 minutes to brown all over while cooling.
- For a twist add in some Quaker oats to the mix and sprinkle some on top before baking.
- This is an ideal bread with tea and butter.