1 hr 15 mins
T Farrell's Note:
Irish brown bread for breakfast and or tea time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the whole wheat flour in a mixing bowl and place in a warm oven (low setting!).
- 2Both flour and bowl should be warm when you make the bread.
- 3Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water and blend in the molasses.
- 4Let proof.
- 5Add another 1/2 cup of water.
- 6Combine flour, yeast mixture and salt.
- 7Add enough warm water to make a wet sticky dough.
- 8This will vary according to flour and humidity conditions.
- 9Put directly into a buttered 9x5x3-inch bread pan.
- 10Cover and set in a warm spot.
- 11Allow dough to rise by 1/3 its original size.
- 12This goes faster than you might think Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 13Bake for about 50 minutes or until the crust is nicely browned and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- 14Turn off oven and leave loaf on rack for about 20 minutes to brown all over while cooling.
- 15For a twist add in some Quaker oats to the mix and sprinkle some on top before baking.
- 16This is an ideal bread with tea and butter.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Brown Bread
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.8
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1171.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 10.9 g