Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Irish brown bread for breakfast and or tea time.
Make and share this Irish Brown Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Put the whole wheat flour in a mixing bowl and place in a warm oven (low setting!).
- Both flour and bowl should be warm when you make the bread.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup of the warm water and blend in the molasses.
- Let proof.
- Add another 1/2 cup of water.
- Combine flour, yeast mixture and salt.
- Add enough warm water to make a wet sticky dough.
- This will vary according to flour and humidity conditions.
- Put directly into a buttered 9x5x3-inch bread pan.
- Cover and set in a warm spot.
- Allow dough to rise by 1/3 its original size.
- This goes faster than you might think Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Bake for about 50 minutes or until the crust is nicely browned and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Turn off oven and leave loaf on rack for about 20 minutes to brown all over while cooling.
- For a twist add in some Quaker oats to the mix and sprinkle some on top before baking.
- This is an ideal bread with tea and butter.