Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 4 cups brown flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 3 ounces wheat germ
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 1⁄2 pints sour milk or 1 1⁄2 pints buttermilk
- Sieve plain flour, salt, and soda into a bowl.
- Add in brown flour and wheatgerm.
- Rub in butter, mix in sour milk (or buttermilk) and onion and then mix to a very soft consistency.
- Divide dough between 2 greased loaf tins and cover with brown paper.
- Bake approx.
- 45 minutes at 375.
- Remove cover after 30 minutes of baking and continue baking for another 15 minutes.
This made pleasant light bread rather strongly flavored with wheat germ. I think that if I try it again I'll reduce or omit the wheat germ. I liked the onion. I used 3/4 teaspoon salt, and feel it should have more, maybe 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 teaspoons total. I did use plain yogurt instead of the buttermilk. The dough was quite thick but baked fine. Used two 7-cup loaf pans. Thank you for the recipe.