1/1 Photo of Irish Bread Pudding With Jack Daniels Caramel-Whiskey Sauce
24 hrs 35 mins
This recipe has been in my family for years and years. I remember sitting with my great grandma trying to get her to help me write everything down. The house smells of cinnamon and whiskey. What could be better??
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 16 ounces French bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1BEFORE YOU BEGIN (OPTIONAL): Lay out bread slices and allow to get a crusty as possible (I will usually set out at least 24 hours in advance.) This allows the bread to become very dry and crusty so it can absorb as much pudding as possible. ALSO combine the raisins and whiskey in a small bowl, cover, and place in the refrigerator overnight to allow the raisins to soak up as much whiskey as possible. If you forget, the raisins only need to sit for about 30 minutes to soak up quite a bit of whiskey.
- 2JACK DANIEL'S CARAMEL-WHISKEY SAUCE: Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir continuously until sugar dissolves.
- 3Simmer until sugar mixture is golden (about 17 minutes). DO NOT STIR!
- 4Remove from heat.
- 5Carefully add butter and cream cheese, stirring constantly with a whisk until all clumps are dissolved. CAUTION! Mixture will bubble vigorously and release a lot of hot steam.
- 6Cool slightly. Stir in whiskey and milk. Mixture will bubble a bit at this step as well.
- 7PUDDING: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 8Brush melted butter on one side of French bread slices.
- 9Bake buttered side up until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes.
- 10Cut bread into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside.
- 11Combine milk, sugar, vanilla extract, evaporated milk, eggs, and UNDRAINED whiskey mixture in a large bowl. Stir well with a whisk.
- 12Add bread cubes, pressing down gently to moisten; let stand about 20 minutes. If your bowl is a little small, gently fold the cubes into the mixture with a spatula.
- 13Pour bread mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated well with cooking spray.
- 14Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over pudding.
- 15Bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until set.
- 16Serve warm with Jack Daniel's caramel-whiskey sauce.
- 17TO MAKE THIS KID FRIENDLY: Substitute apple juice for Jack Daniel's in pudding and 1 tablespoon imitation rum extract and 3 tablespoons water in Caramel-Whiskey sauce.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Bread Pudding With Jack Daniels Caramel-Whiskey Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.4
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 67.6 mg
- Sodium 330.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 49.6 g
- Protein 8.6 g