Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I haven't tried this but other recipes from the same book have been quite remarkable. The instructions were very "bare bones" so I've done my best to intelligently expand them. It sounds great and I can't wait to try it out myself.
- 4 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease (butter preferred) 10- to 12-inch oven-proof skillet with high sides (2-2 1/2 inch).
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Sprinkle a little over the raisins and currants, mix to coat.
- Cut the shortening into the remainder of the flour mixture with a pastry cutter.
- Stir in raisins, currants and caraway seeds.
- Whisk together eggs and milk.
- Mix into bread mixture with a wooden spoon, just until well incoroporated.
- turn onto a floured board and mold into a round loaf.
- Place in greased skillet and bake in oven for 1 hour at 350°F.