Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a mix of several recipes.
Make and share this Irish Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons flour
- salt & pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into large peices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 -8 large carrots, peeled & cut into 1 1/2-inch peices
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1 1/2-inch peices
- 2 -3 large potatoes, cut into large cubes, golf-ball size (optional)
- 24 white pearl onions (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup barley (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, disolved into 3 T water (to thin it out)
- 2 cups Guinness stout
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- In a large ziploc bag, add flour, salt & pepper as desired, and a pinch of cayenne. Add cubed beef and zip up bag. Shake to coat beef with flour.
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven, add 2 T oil. Shake off excess flour and add beef to pot. Brown beef over medium-high heat in two batches.
- When all are browned, remove beef and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to pot and cook for 5 mins or so.
- Add carrots, celery, barley and pearl onions, potatoes, and tomato paste/water and stir to coat.
- Add 1/2 cup of Guinness to deglaze bottom of pot.
- Add meat back to pot and add remaining Guinness and beef broth. Add Thyme and Bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.