2 hrs 20 mins
Elle Anderson's Note:
This is a mix of several recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 4 tablespoons flour
- salt & pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 large yellow onions, cut into large peices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 -8 large carrots, peeled & cut into 1 1/2-inch peices
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1 1/2-inch peices
- 2 -3 large potatoes, cut into large cubes, golf-ball size (optional)
- 24 white pearl onions (optional)
- 1/3 cup barley (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste, disolved into 3 T water (to thin it out)
- 2 cups Guinness stout
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1In a large ziploc bag, add flour, salt & pepper as desired, and a pinch of cayenne. Add cubed beef and zip up bag. Shake to coat beef with flour.
- 2In a large pot or Dutch Oven, add 2 T oil. Shake off excess flour and add beef to pot. Brown beef over medium-high heat in two batches.
- 3When all are browned, remove beef and set aside.
- 4Add onions and garlic to pot and cook for 5 mins or so.
- 5Add carrots, celery, barley and pearl onions, potatoes, and tomato paste/water and stir to coat.
- 6Add 1/2 cup of Guinness to deglaze bottom of pot.
- 7Add meat back to pot and add remaining Guinness and beef broth. Add Thyme and Bay leaves.
- 8Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- 9Cover and cook for 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (1738 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1177.0
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.4 g
- Cholesterol 132.1 mg
- Sodium 786.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 58.1 g