This is my adopted recipe, I haven't made it yet.
Make and share this Irish Beef Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef or 2 lbs beef chuck, in two inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- flour (for dredging)
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced (optional)
- 6 -8 medium carrots, scraped and sliced
- 2 -3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 -3 turnips, peeled and cut into cubes (optional)
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1 cup beef broth
- Season beef with salt and pepper; toss beef chunks in flour until well coated.
- Heat drippings or oil in Dutch oven and brown beef over medium-high heat in two batches.
- When all are browned, remove beef from pan and add onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- Return beef to pot and add carrots, potatoes, turnips, stout and broth.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cover and cook for 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
Lovely comforting food
Sounds great. I'd add some diced celery.
Made this stew .....minus the guiness and turnips and it's a delicious, filling meal!! I made it for St. Patrick's Day along with Impossible Beer Bread. Great for dipping in the yummy gravy!!