1/2 Photos of Irish Beef Stew
2 hrs 5 mins
This is my adopted recipe, I haven't made it yet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean stewing beef or 2 lbs beef chuck, in two inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- flour (for dredging)
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced (optional)
- 6 -8 medium carrots, scraped and sliced
- 2 -3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 -3 turnips, peeled and cut into cubes (optional)
- 1 cup Guinness stout
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1Season beef with salt and pepper; toss beef chunks in flour until well coated.
- 2Heat drippings or oil in Dutch oven and brown beef over medium-high heat in two batches.
- 3When all are browned, remove beef from pan and add onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent.
- 4Return beef to pot and add carrots, potatoes, turnips, stout and broth.
- 5Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- 6Cover and cook for 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (710 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 507.3
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 85.9 mg
- Sodium 523.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 28.2 g