Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 2 1⁄2 lbs parsnips
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces bacon fat
- 3 tablespoons chicken or 3 tablespoons vegetable stock
- salt and pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Peel parsnips, quarter, and remove any woody core.
- Parboil for 15 minutes.
- Place in an ovenproof dish.
- Add stock and sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Dot with butter and bake for 30 minutes on a low shelf in a moderate oven.
Absolutely excellent way of doing parsnips. I was so skeptical as this just seemed too easy to be so good. This recipe is a must for anyone who has parsnips in their house. Parsnips are not my favourite vegetable but this is a five star plus recipe. Thanks for sharing.
This is similar to the way that I often do parsniups but the bit of nutmeg makes all the difference. Sometimes I add a bit of Soy sauce - just a drizzle over the almost cooked parsnips - it gives them a lovely golden color - I would not do this if I was using nutmeg. Thanks Dancer for a keeper - just that extra touch makes a diffferenc. Made again 17 Nov 2010 This time I added some carrots really Mmm. I also par-boiled the carrots. I love this recipe it is so easy
Delicious! I was going to post one like this because this is THE only way to prepare parsnips! I always ate them this way growing up. Nutmeg brings out the woodsy flavor of the parsnips and I like mine buttery and savory better than sweet.