Recipe by A Messy Cook
This is a delicious, low fat bread.
Top Review by Girli P.
I was looking for a recipe for soda bread that would have applesauce, and I found this. The only reason I tweaked it is because I didn't have raisins, and I decided to see if coconut cooking oil would work just as well as butter (because we were running low, and I wanted it ON the bread!). I'm very happy with how it came out! I baked it in a convection oven, so it was actually done in about 20minutes. Thanks for sharing this!
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In small bowl, combine buttermilk, applesauce and butter.
- Add applesauce mixture to flour mixture; stir until dough forms a ball.
- Turn out onto floured surface and knead raisins into dough.
- Pat dough into 7-inch round and place in sprayed 8-inch round baking pan; cut ¼-inch deep cross into top of dough and brush with milk.
- Bake 35 minutes at 375 degrees, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes, invert onto wire rack, turn right side up, and cool completely.