Recipe by Olha
A delicious apple dessert from Ireland. The pastry is not as firm as regular pastry. Be sure to GREASE the pie pan.
- 2 cups plain hot mashed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
FOR THE FILLING
- 4 cups thinly sliced apples
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
FOR THE TOP
- 1 teaspoon melted butter or 1 teaspoon margarine
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Combine potato, butter, cinnamon, ginger and brown sugar.
- Mix well.
- Blend in flour.
- Reserve 3/4 cup for top of the pie.
- On a sheet of waxed paper or better still parchment paper, pat the remaining dough into a circle slightly larger than a 9-inch pie plate.
- Place a well-greased pie plate over dough.
- Lift and invert the dough into the pan.
- Remove waxed paper.
- Arrange apple slices of potato mixture.
- Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp.
- brown sugar.
- Pat remaining 3/4 cup of potato mixture onto a 9-inch circle of waxed paper.
- Invert over filled pie.
- Peel off paper, crimp and seal edges of dough around pie.
- Cut a vent in the centre of the pie.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes.
- Brush top with 1 tsp.
- melted butter and sprinkle with granulated sugar a few minutes before removing from oven.
- Serve hot with whipped cream.
- Serves 6.
- One Potato Two Potato.