Recipe by Cucina Casalingo
From a wonderful Southern cook, who lived to 100. She must have done something right!
Top Review by WeBees
This was my grandmothers recipe for squash casserole. I lived in the south and had this type of casserole many different ways and this is an authentic jewel! Yum, not lowfat but worth every bite.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs yellow squash
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pimiento
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Perheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook squash until just tender, and drain.
- Combine remaining ingerdients (except cheese and bread crumbs). Blend well.
- Mix cooked squash with vegetable/egg mixture and place in buttered casserole dish.
- Bake 20 minutes, then top with breadcrumbs and cheese and bake for 20 minutes more.