Recipe by mikeandtiah'smom
My version of Mince and Tatties "Mince and Tatties" by Millie. We had quite a few different things in ours, so thought I would post this one. The name comes from my late Grandma Irene who made this a lot for her family of 7 in the 40's and 50's. This is the first time we have written it down, so I hope it;s okay! All times are estimates on my part!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- mashed potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Scramble fry ground beef, onions, celery, carrot, and garlic powder until beef is cooked through and onions are transluscent.
- Draining any excess grease.
- Add stock or 2 cups of beef boullion. Bring to a boil and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- To make gravy: Add slurry of flour and water stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- While cooking beef mixture, boil your potatoes and mash.
- Serve with a veggie on the side or a nice salad.
- This recipe is easily adaptable to oven baking as a cheapo(that's me!) version of shepherd's pie. Just add more veggies(frozen mixed works great!) to the hamburger mixture, place in a casserole, top with the mashed potatoes and bake for 20-30 minute at 350. Or until heated through. Add some grated cheddar to the top 5-10 minute before baking time ends and yum!