Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a beautiful cake recipe from Iraq which is easy to make.
- 4 free range eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup sweet pomegranate juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rose water
- Preheat oven to 180°C Grease and flour a large loaf pan.
- Beat egg yolks until thick & creamy. Gradually add vanilla and powdered sugar. Add dry ingredients and butter, beating with an electric mixer for 3 minutes on high speed, scrape down sides of bowl once or twice to ensure thorough mixing.
- Whip egg whites until stiff and fold them lightly into batter. Spread mixture into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes: until it tests done (by a toothpick coming out clean when poked into it.).
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Whisk in sweet pomegranate juice. Bring to a boil, whisking continuously. Boil for about 2 minutes, until smooth thick and glossy. Remove from heat and stir in rosewater. Chill.
- To serve: brush a plate with pomegranate sauce and arrange 2 or 3 overlapping thin slices of cake over the sauce.
This is a heavy, dry cake. It's heavier than a pound cake. You definately need the pomegranate sauce to help get it down. On the plus side, the sauce tastes great. You need to be careful, if you overcook the sauce (like I did the 1st batch), it will be like taffy.