1/1 Photo of Iraqi Stuffed Zucchini (Cousa Mashi)
1 hr 10 mins
Tweaked Dh's families delicious recipe for our favorite stuffed vegetables with meat tomato sauce. Amounts are guesstimates since we only do to taste. This is not a gorgeous looking dish, but great comfort food. P.S. So far the picture posted is beautiful but much dryer than the way we like it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 small baby zucchini (the light green ones)
- 1 -2 medium bell pepper
- baharat spice mix, to taste (Dh's family uses curry powder)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium cooking onion, chopped (smaller pieces are better)
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, including stems, chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- white basmati rice, rinsed and soaked
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1Wash and hollow out baby zucchini's cutting tops off where the stems grow. Put all together in a large pot. Discard innards.
- 2Cut tops off bell peppers and remove seeds and membrane. Add to pot including tops. Discard innards.
- 3Mix ground beef (CW rinses and drains), white Basmati rice, chopped onion, chopped flat leaf parsley, sea salt, to taste & baharat.
- 4Stuff each vegetable until just about full pressing lightly to make sure there are no air pockets. If you press to hard the result will be too dry.
- 5Cork each vegetable with stem end cutting to fit if too large. Return each.
- 6vegetable to the pot in as even a layer as possible.
- 7Keep remaining filling to side as it will be used in the sauce.
- 8Add tomato paste to some water and mix (whisk works best) until no lumps remain. Add to pot along with more water until just over top of the vegetables, Add some extra bahrat spice mix to taste, sea salt, and bring to the boil.
- 9Cover and cook until partially done adding remaining filling (it shouldn't be a lot) to the surrounding liquid so that once cooked it will form a sauce not a dry rice dish. So if needed add more water/sea salt. Boil/simmer until done.
- 10Remove vegetables and arrange on a large platter, spoon sauce around.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iraqi Stuffed Zucchini (Cousa Mashi)
Serving Size: 1 (476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.8
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 422.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 27.0 g