1/4 Photos of Iraqi Rice (Timman)
Produces a light fluffy, tasty grain. I always use chicken or beef stock depending what I am serving it with. May be made yellow by adding 1/2 tsp turmeric. Enjoy this with Khouzi Ala Timman (Iraqi Lamb Shanks and Rice) (Gluten-Free) with or without stock, Saudi Chicken Kofta and Lentil Stew (Gluten-Free), Bamia or other stews, kabobs, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash rice well in a sieve and drain.
- 2Heat olive oil or butter in a large based pot, add rice and stir over high heat for two minutes.
- 3Add stock and bring to high simmer stirring once at first to separate the grains from the bottom of the pot.
- 4Reduce heat to medium low and cover pot tightly for 15 minutes.
- 5Open pot and fluff rice with a fork.
- 6Place paper towels around rim and cover tightly again. (This makes for a fluffier grain).
- 7Reduce heat to low and leave for 25 minutes then remove paper towels and you can leave longer on low. (I actually preheat my oven to 350F instead of leaving mine on low and then I leave the rice pot on the burner that heat escapes from the oven until we are ready to eat. *Of course this only works if your stove is on top of your oven. I find a good quality grain lasts hours this way and is warm and ready to eat when you are).
- 8Meanwhile in a small dry pan toast pine nuts over medium high heat until golden. Watch carefully as they tend to burn quickly.
- 9Sprinkle over rice and fluff with a fork to incorporate.
- 10Enjoy with any meat stew, bamia (okra) dish or chicken.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iraqi Rice (Timman)
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 583.9
- Calories from Fat 200
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 350.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 14.9 g